The Impact of Technology on Management Practices
The continuing advancements of technology still reshape traditional practices of management. This means that organisations must develop several strategies to develop digitised technologies and fulfil the organisation’s goals. Before explaining any clear digitised strategy, the first stage of the companies is to understand how the technology affects the operations. Later on, the information is used to assess the existing atmosphere to determine the gaps that the process for digital transformation can enhance. By following this, businesses can make decisions based on the digital transformation strategy’s accomplishments and create a way to attain the desired goals.
Impact of Technology on Management from the Organization’s Perspective
Suppose someone carefully observes the overall impact of the technological advancements of different types of organisations and management. In that case, they will clearly understand that they assume a direct correlation with efficiency and ease as it is helpful for everyone in the field. Technological progress mainly assures higher efficiency when it is time for the process of steps from research to planning and execution. The difference between the micro level, which involves the intra-organizational, and the macro level, affects the mechanisms or the global trends.
From the micro level Administration, Accounts and Human Resources
As the accounts, administration and human resources are contemplated as the main pillars of a company, their procedures must be sharpened to be perfect and operate without any errors or flaws. From the key requirements like the calculation of salary or attendance to the evaluation of employees and to more difficult procedures and systems like the calculation of net income or gross income, technologies offer numerous options to establish and develop command-based processes automatically to aid with the difficulties.
The growing need for the internet is also an essential part of our lives in this generation. And with the help of the internet, technological advancements can also be utilised as it is an important part of today’s era. Gathering information has become easier compared to the last few years when technology was less advanced. But today, it is much more customisable and easily available with the help of novel technologies as per the organisation’s needs. Also, the availability of several ready-made systems flourishes in small-scale organisations. This is so because the requirements of small-scale industries mainly move around the basic level. Technological advancements also provide ERP and CRM software which help provide all the important information in different formats as needed by the various departments or sections of the business.
There also exists the availability of several options for Head-Hunting, which are job-hiring websites and are taking control over the older methods of hiring individuals for specific job roles. Also, a new wave permits employees to work from anywhere globally, and they need to manage the time requirements and complete their usual work. Information technology and other related areas give the perfect conditions for these types of flexibility.
In older times, communicating with family members, relatives and friends or colleagues living in a distant place was difficult. This is so because, at that time, the technology could have been more advanced. People used to call everyone individually and talk with them, which also took a lot of time. But, in today’s time, communication has become relatively easy for people who are living far off a place. They can easily communicate by sending emails, messages, social media, and much more. Smartphones have made people’s lives much easier as they have transformed the face of communication today. Utilising applications of smartphones like Whatsapp and attending web conferences also helps provide a suitable environment for several conditions like working from home or offsite work. In today’s time, an organisation sends any representative to another branch, a client company, or an associate, and they are still in contact with the representative to know the progress of the work with the help of advancing technology. Also, there are many software which are developed by various companies, particularly for internal communication, such as the IP messenger. And, for external communication, whether related to business or sending greetings to people, everything can be done easily with the help of technology.
Branding and Marketing
The branding and marketing sector has received eminence in large numbers in the last few decades, mainly because of the enhancement in technological advancements to make the business reach greater heights. In the last few decades, newspapers, television or radio were the only means to advertise or market the brands. But, in today’s time, social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter and also professional networks like LinkedIn are the strongest means to communicate, advertise or market brands as well and bring the brands as well as their members together in one platform not only to make people aware of the brand but also to discuss the current marketing trends as well as the best practices that can be made to resolve the issues based on the organisation and the management.
From the Macro level
Technological advancements have influenced the global aspects of the industry and business deeply and will keep doing that by utilising more efficient and novel procedures for operations being developed virtually every day. Technology is itself considered an industry when it focuses on the global economy. This is so because the Information technology sector is in the highest position. The immensity of the impacts of this specific industry in the nation becomes evident as it constantly delivers solutions for each type of demand and issue of the organisations.
The Information and technology sector has undergone an enormous transformational shift in Global Standards and requirements. In today’s time, it is only possible to make any business or company survive with support from the information and technology sector or communicating via the help of the Internet. The basic consensus for an organisation to survive is that the company must have at least a website. On the other hand, technology also helps by developing quality with higher standards while offering feasible solutions for sustainability. And this is also an essential feature as well as the responsibility of the functioning and operations of organisations.
Several ways by which technological advancements influence management practices and employees are discussed below –
- Drives better decision-making process – Making decisions is the most crucial aspect of the manager’s role. The decision-making process aids businesses to move ahead of their rivals in the market and thus helps redefine the business’s visions and attain the desired goal. To stand in the competition, businesses must implement novel technologies to enhance the quality and speed of collecting data to aid the management teams in making better decisions more efficiently and rapidly. Also, technology can aid people across various teams to come together and jointly implement appropriate business decisions.
- Increases collaboration – Technology has ultimately transformed the communication process used by modern businesses. The formal conference room was considered one of the best ways that bring the employees together to discuss business matters and the issues they are dealing with. But, nowadays, hybrid and remote workforces have transformed the manner completely by which companies used to collaborate. And with the help of advancing technology, employees can come together virtually and discuss business matters even if they are not present physically. Advancing technologies have helped workplaces to hold remote meetings with the help of video-conferencing and thus work on the documents and files that are shared with a file-sharing tool which is based on the cloud and also this syncs all the data and files in real-time and keeps track of all the changes done. For example, Slack streamlines business tools and Microsoft Teams are several real-time collaborative software which helps businesses come together, centralising places, and attain more while collaborating.
- Enhancing employee efficacy – Tedious and repetitive tasks performed by the employees manually increase the chance of getting errors, decrease workplace productivity and reduce employee morale. Utilising appropriate technology in the organisation or the business enhances the chance of engagement in the employees, and as a consequence of this, the goals of the business are achieved, and even it helps drive the growth of the business or the organisation. For example, A company offers Byford Secondary College several multifunctioning devices (MFDs) and also manages printing services for minimisation of cost and complexities. By enhancing the management of the fleet, the administration staff do not have to spend longer time ordering consumables and tracking the prints and can concentrate on focusing their efforts as well.
- Automatic recurring process – The tasks or the functions which took a lot of time and were done by the employees manually are now automated by utilising technology, making it consume less time and effort. By using technology for automating recurring work, employees get time to finish off other work assigned to them. This ultimately helps in eliminating the inefficiencies and also aids in saving money by decreasing the consumables and manual handling such as paper or electricity. For example, A company helped The Smith Family through the process of automation and managed the inundation of paperwork and also digitised the students’ profiles, which were saved on Microsoft Sharepoint to be easily accessible. Additionally, Making the tasks automated gives the management a better understanding of the processes and data, providing oversight of the business, which should be efficient. Several solutions like business process automation (BPA) help businesses and organisations streamline processes like boarding employees, payable accounts and management of contracts.
- Managing, organising and storing the content intelligently – Businesses struggled for many years with the problem of disorganised documents and making employees spend longer time tracking their positions and waste the organisation’s resources. Today, technology has aided organisations to organise, retrieve and manage documents effectively. This not only helps enhance the organisation’s productivity but also aids in minimising operational costs and storage. The content management of the enterprise (ECM) is a system which is planned and designed to control and manage the overall lifecycle of the streamlined processes of business, data and information and also make the daily tasks more efficient. By utilising the ECM platform, the company aided Drakes Supermarkets to automate the process of invoices. This will ensure that every supermarket invoice is scanned for every shop into the watched folder on the organisation’s network. And by handling and operating the organisation’s processes from the initial point to the ending point, Drakes Supermarkets had very few payment errors, and they also experienced significant savings in time and costs.
In summary, the effect of technology on management practices has significantly shown transformations in recent years. It has fundamentally changed how businesses operate and has helped facilitate enhanced communication, decision-making, collaboration and efficiency. Technology has made operations automated and streamlined different managerial processes like analysis of data, project management and record keeping. It has allowed managers to take decisions based on the data and work on real-time information. Furthermore, it has facilitated virtual teams and remote work, making the employees work far away. It has also enhanced communication as it is easily possible for employees to get connected without being physically present. Technology has set up novel channels for the marketing and engagement of customers. And with the popularisation of social media platforms, businesses can easily reach their target audiences. Although the effect of technology on management practices also has several challenges. Managers need to update themselves with novel skills, platforms, and tools with the increasing technological advancements. Overall, the effect of technology on management practices remains positive. This is so because it has helped the employees and managers to entitle with novel tools and technologies and enhance their capability to drive innovation, productivity and efficiency. Still, it is significant for managers to maintain a counterbalance between human interaction and technology to ensure effective management practices.
Author Bio: Mark Edmonds is a carefully prepared master in the management field, eminent for his commitments to the investigation of innovation’s impact on management rehearses. As a committed proficient at Academic Assignments, he conveys first class management assignment help to students work in management subjects. Enthusiastically for enabling students, Mark’s mastery guarantees the best quality help at serious costs. His quick research and obligation to academic greatness have acquired him honors and the trust of endless students looking for assignment help in their academic process.