Mastering Team Building: Insights from Management Experts
Several businesses are launched every year worldwide, and unfortunately, due to some of these factors, the business tends to fail most of the time. These factors include access to capital, innovative ability, and knowledge about the business’s marketplace. However, every business owner controls one factor of business, and it determines the success of the business in the long term by hiring individuals who are right for that particular job role and coming together to form a powerful and successful team (Super et al., 2020). A good team lies behind the success of any business in the world. This is mainly applied to startups because a good group of members in the team makes the business expand, grow and achieve success in a way that is challenging for an individual to do alone. A good and successful team always hires the right people by figuring out if they give value to their work and can work towards achieving the goal of the business, by observing if they are goal-oriented or not and by giving respect to the hierarchical structure needed by most of the businesses (Ali et al., 2020). Once the right people start working for a business, they work collaboratively and help the business achieve success.
Significance Of Building A Strong Team
With a team and their help, entrepreneurs can achieve success from an idea. This is because there is a lot of work to do for an entrepreneur if he is working alone. The business idea may be good, but a proper business needs to work cohesively, and for this, it needs to have a dynamic team that works according to the business plan. We take the example of an NBA team. The goal of this team is almost the same as any firm: to achieve the common objective of the business. We assume the team has the best guard point in basketball, namely Stephen Curry. It is unnecessary to say that Stephen Curry is extremely talented, from his acrobatic skills of handling the ball to his legendary three-point shooting skills. But, if someone asked Curry to collaborate with another NBA team by himself, he would lose the game. Still being a good shooter and dribbler, Curry is not tall by the standards of the NBA and several sets of skills like blocking shots and rebounding are not owned by him; instead, other players have mastered these skills. Similarly, it is with business ventures. The team members assembled should have an appropriate set of skills so the entire team can easily accomplish the task given by the team leader, and the team leader does not have to do it all by himself (Diaz-Granados et al., 2008). The team’s leader must understand that their competition is not with a single person but with a business venture that works with the structure of the company and has its culture and exceptional group of members with years of expertise in their domain.
How To Develop a Strong Team
Teams with good performance do not perform better unexpectedly. They are in contact with their team leader and work according to his guidance. The team members have a strong sense of ethical code, goals, and values. Without acquiring these leadership qualities in an individual and incorporating them into the business, the employees are only colleagues, which does not make the business grow. It depends on how the team leader forms a team, which helps his business expand. Several steps are taken to establish and develop the sets of skills in the team members are discussed below –
- Establishing expectations from the first day – New members of the team and employees come with blank minds as they do not have any experience and they are open to assembling themselves in the culture of the company, yet they start observing signs which are important for an employee to understand how to operate in the business. Team leaders can benefit from this. They can set the rules and expect what they need from them from the starting day of their joining, making them understand the working environment that needs to be established in the company. An effective team leader can communicate the company’s values from the first day and make the team members understand what they must do and what is expected.
- Respecting every team member as a person – While at work, the team leader wants their employees to come together and work as a team and at the same time, the leader must have their viewpoint that every employee has their own story. The employees have received this through their experience and continue to experience their varied lives while leaving work every day. It is significant for the team leaders to not consider new team members as the representatives who will perform the tasks. A strong team environment blooms when the employees are appreciated and honoured for their ability and contribution to achieving the common goal of the business.
- Creating connections in the team – As it is significant for the team leaders to give respect, honour, and value to every team member, it is also critical for them to give respect and value to each other. Motivating employees to avoid judging each other who is sitting next to them and work together towards the common objective for the development of the business, growth of individual skills and attaining the team’s goals.
- Practising emotional intelligence – Good team leaders value emotional intelligence’s significance. In short, this means that the style of leadership involves treating employees as humans and not treating them as drones. Good leaders must understand that every employee is not encouraged in the same way as another employee. Several team members proliferate in pursuing the goals of the company. While other employees search for healthy competition, either with a rival outside the company or stand out against another team of sales in the same company. By accepting the corporeality of various styles of working and various types of motivation, good team leaders treat individual differences of the employees as an advantage and not as a hurdle.
- Motivating with positivity – Good leaders become more effective in shaping behaviour with positive augmentation instead of negative augmentation. Combat the yearning to criticize the mistakes of the team members. It is significant for the team leaders to establish a positive environment for the team by conducting events as well as behaviours that are encouraged and liked by the team members to bring in more from where it came. Positive augmentation is a good and productive way of encouraging the team’s performance rather than demotivating the employees who make mistakes.
- Communicate – There is a need for the employees to communicate if they feel unhappy while working or if they want to improve something in their work. Communicating with the team members helps the employees not build any stress or displeasure, which leads to poor performance. , if they do their work well but the team leader is unhappy and says that the employee is underperforming, they experience an unwelcoming shock. So, it is significant for the team members to brush up their communication skills as effective communication helps strengthen the relations and keep it working for longer years, whereas being silent can break the relation among the team members and the team leaders.
- Looking for methods to reward the team members for their good performance – Individuals love to have a declaration of the hard work done by them. If the team leader can provide financial bonuses to the team members, it shows a great way by which appreciation can be demonstrated among the team members. And, if the team leader has little profit from their business, they can start thinking of different ways by which the team members can be appreciated and show trust and gratitude. One of the best and easiest ways to show gratitude is by assigning them tasks.
- Moreover, if a team member shows their judgement-making skills, team leaders can give them the chance to make some basic decisions that the team leader made earlier. If any of the team members are responsible for using money, the team leaders must authorize them to use the company’s credit card. The team leader must find a way to show that he is paying attention to the team members and that their efforts are appreciated. This will help the team leader reflect on the qualities of a leader and remind the team members and others that the leader is the most valued and admired member of the team.
- Diversify – The team members must be diverse, from various cultural backgrounds, and have different opinions, ages and experiences if one is building their business. The team leader must hire individuals who aim to cover their blind spots; they should hire people who can inform about the leader’s judgement calls and the content made by them.
- Finding a team that can be trusted – Leaders must find someone who can initiate the work, make decisions on their behalf, and become a good representative for you and the business as well. Instruct them to unite by motivating them to make decisions based on their leadership. The leader is investing his resources and time into that particular individual, so it is important for them to consider their work longevity at the business venture.
In conclusion, a good team is required for a business to succeed, and without a good team to make their business succeed. Success, several individuals are needed by the team leader to operate different functions of the company to operate it in a better way. Furthermore, several steps are discussed, which aid the team leader in explaining the essential ways by which they can develop a team, which helps in attaining the company’s goals.
- Ali, M. et al. (2020) ‘Linking humble leadership and project success: The moderating role of top management support with the mediation of Team-Building’, International Journal of Managing Projects in Business, 14(3), pp. 545–562. doi:10.1108/ijmpb-01-2020-0032.
- DiazGranados, D. et al. (2008) ‘Does team building work?’, PsycEXTRA Dataset [Preprint]. doi:10.1037/e518442013-251.
- Super, J.F. (2020) ‘Building Innovative Teams: Leadership Strategies Across the various stages of Team Development’, Business Horizons, 63(4), pp. 553–563. doi:10.1016/j.bushor.2020.04.001.
Author Bio: Mark Edmonds is a carefully prepared master at Academic Assignments, a prestigious supplier of top-quality management assignment help to students. With long periods of involvement with the field, Imprint is energetic about engaging future leaders with the information and abilities expected to succeed in management. His commitment to schooling is clear in his book, “Mastering Team Building: Insights from Management Experts,” where he shares important insights from his broad ability. Imprint’s obligation to cultivating outcome in students and experts makes him a confided in expert in the domain of management and leadership.